As always at this time of year, I have been neglecting many of the personal projects I am involved in. They have lain dormant like bulbs in the soil, waiting for the passing of another manic december and dreary january. In common with much of nature, I am sensing an early spring, and the metaphorical bulbs are following their actual counterparts and pushing shoots to the surface demanding sunlight. In other words I am feeling the urge to put some effort into the blog.
First I would like to thank everyone who has posted or commented. I had my doubts when I first set up the blog, but there has been more than enough response to make my efforts worthwhile. Although I don’t always leave comments, and I can’t guarantee I’ve given every piece the attention it deserves, I have read and enjoyed as much as I can.
Anyway, I think we have shown that a blog is useful. I am now looking for ideas to increase its appeal and usefulness. Here are one or two things I thought of that might be useful:
- Advice, tips and discussion on how to get the best out of WordPress
- Guidelines on how to critique
- Advice, tips and discussion on what makes good poetry or prose
- Figures of speech and their usage (metaphors, similes, etc)
- Discussion of each line, or stanza from our work or the work of others
- A weekly (daily? monthly?) challenge
- Subjects and themes
- A joint project (e.g. a “round robin” piece where people can add one line, and so forth)
- A separate “Pamphlet 15” blog to take on a more serious “publishing” role
Of course I could set up pages, etc, (in fact anyone can start a discussion by posting something – question, comment, whatever) but I could do with volunteers to contribute to some of the more art-related issues. If anyone fancies making a contribution of this nature, post directly, make a comment on this post, or contact me some other way.